Hello, minions. It’s Tuesday, so have a Late Night Computing for January 8, 2013.
Finally, after nearly 20-hours into Assassin’s Creed III, I think I’ve finally gotten the hang of the combat system. For one reason or another, I had an extremely rough time getting into a flow while countering attacking enemies, made all the more difficult by inescapable axe-attacks and firing lines. No more! Redcoats and Templars alike swiftly fall to a grim ending as Connor finally controls like an assassin.
- What does it feel like to be more machine than man, similar to one Stephen Hawking? I’ll tell you in a few years. [via Wired]
- Why the appearance of new mobile operating systems Tizen, Firefox OS, and Ubuntu Phone may spell the end of the closed app-store. [via MIT Technology Review]
- Think you have what it takes to become one of the first astronauts to Mars? Review the newly released criteria! [via Mars-One]
- You may want to consider getting into shape prior to your voyage, though, as a simulated trip to Mars produced some harrowing results. [via ArsTechnica]
- FreedomPop reveals a plan to offer free texting and calling at the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show. [via ReadWriteWeb]
Chatty posts of the moment:
Make sure you log-in and check your filters if you can’t see the following:
- “I thought I understood VSYNC. I don’t know if I’m very sensitive to tearing or if my monitor just tears worse than others (somehow) but I can’t stand it. So I typically run D3DOverrider with Triple Buffering and its cool. I notice a tad of mouselag, but it’s pretty minimal.
So I picked up Blops2 and it has a built in frame limiter. If I set it at 60, and my monitor is 60hz, shouldn’t I have ZERO tearing without using VSYNC or D3DOverrider?” [by sixfoot6]
- “I seem to have been given tickets for the NFL London games next season. Steelers vs Vikings and 49ers vs Jaguars. If I start paying attention now I can probably learn the rules in time right? The only one of these cities I’ve ever visited is San Francisco, so what do I need to know to become a lifelong 49ers fan in the next 10 months?” [by peanut-]
A Valley Without Wind 2 demo for Windows and Mac. “A Valley Without Wind 2 brings a vast platforming adventure together with a compelling turn-based strategy game — all within a living, breathing world full of danger and surprises.” Download the free demo for Windows, or Mac.
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 Legends introduction trailer:
Join EA Tiburon for a look at the first group of Legends coming to Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14.
Late Night Computing: January 8, 2013