Tick December 18, 2012 off your calendar as Late Night Computing brings the day to an end.
It’s that time again! Game of the year awards are just over the horizon as 2012 comes to a close. Check out the Chatty section below and throw your votes into the ring as the community discusses their top picks. While you’re at it here’s a reminder that Christmas is next Tuesday, so get some last minute advice on last second gifts for your favorite family and friends.
- Want to catch-up on 2012 in Youtube videos? Here’s a three-minute video to help! [via Youtube]
- Maxis has their Ask Me Anything (AMA) derail as reddit users want answers over the SimCity always-on Digital Rights Management (DRM). [via Techdirt]
- Not a fan of Instagram’s new user policy? Here’s how to permanently delete your account and download all of your old photos. [via Wired]
- Data caps prove to be a cash cow for Internet Service Providers as the costs of providing said data goes down. [via ArsTechnica]
- Game of Thrones joins forces with Brewery Ommegang to craft different types of beer based on the characters and novels. [via New York Times]
Chatty posts of the moment.
Make sure you log-in and check your filters if you can’t see the following:
- “SHACKNEWS COMMUNITY GOTY AWARDS. So last year, I did the Community GOTY Awards thingy, and I’m hoping to do the same this year! However, I’d like some advice or recommendations for things you’d like to see.
Last year we had people post their top five choices in order, 1st getting five points, 2nd four, and so on. I like this. I think it’s a great way to tally votes. I plan to use this system again this year, unless someone has a better idea. The only category we had last year was GOTY, and while that was great for keeping everything simple and clean, I am open to ideas on some other stuff people would like to see, such as soundtracks. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I’m either going to run the voting from the 20th to the 31st, or from the first to the fifth. The former is longer since most people aren’t going to be a bit busy with holidays and such, while the later is already after the end of the year, which I’m not super hot on.” [by Fenring42]
Iron Sky: Invasion demo 1.0. “TopWare Interactive is excited to announce the release of a free demo for the space combat simulator ‘Iron Sky Invasion’. The game was developed alongside the movie Iron Sky, and is now available on Steam across Europe. The Demo shows thetutorial plus the first 30 minutes of gameplay.
The game runs parallel to the film, with the player assuming the role of a crack space pilot battling against the evil Nazi horde from the dark side of the moon. Led by the diabolical Admiral Willhelm Kreutz, the player must win epic space battles and down and dirty dogfights as the Nazis attempt to invade earth. Original actors from the movie in all new scenes help to create a seamless blend between the game and the movie.” Download the demo for Windows or Mac.
Fuse preview trailer:
Insomniac Games and Electronic Arts join forces to present a preview of Overstrike, er excuse me, Fuse.
Need for Speed: Most Wanted packs several high-end vehicles into one Ultimate Speed Pack and celebrates with a trailer, Total War: Rome II releases two developer diaries detailing the fall of Carthage and new features of the game, and Rage releases the Scorchers pack with new screenshots.
The rest is here:
Late Night Computing: December 18, 2012